Disposal of Hazardous Household Wastes

Hazardous Household Wastes

Household hazardous wastes threaten human health and the environment when improperly disposed.  For this reason, it is illegal to dispose of household hazardous waste in the garbage, down any drain, or on the ground.

The Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste program offers a free residential drop-off service for Alameda County residents. Go to StopWaste.org or call 1-800-606-6606 for locations and hours of operation.

Acceptable items for drop off include:

  • Paint, stain, solvents, thinner, shellac, and adhesives 
  • Auto products including fuel, motor oil, oil filters, coolant, and batteries 
  • Household cleaners and sprays 
  • Garden products including pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers 
  • Fluorescent bulbs, household batteries, and electronic wastes
  • Most prescription medicine and drugs 

Motor Oil

Recycling used motor oil and oil filters preserves natural resources while preventing pollution and protecting public health.  Fortunately, there are several additional used oil recycling programs that can be utilized.

Curbside Pickup 

Contact your recycling service provider for information on curbside motor oil and filter recycling in your neighborhood.  

Certified Collection Centers

Certified Used Oil Collection Centers will take uncontaminated used motor oil from the public and may also pay you 40¢ a gallon. Most centers will take up to 5 gallons at a time.  See CalRecycle.ca.gov for additional information.

Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Facilities

The Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste program accepts motor oil at their free drop-off locations as well as many other household hazardous wastes.

See BayWise.org for additional pollution prevention information.



Learn More.

5072 Benson Road

Union City, CA 94587-2508

usd logo bottom

Copyright 2016-2024 Union Sanitary District | Search | Site Map | Designed by Formula Design