In order to obtain a demolition permit from the cities of Fremont, Newark or Union City, you will be required to obtain a Demolition/Sewer Capping Permit from Union Sanitary District. A permit application must be submitted.

Sewer Lateral Permit Application

Applicants will be asked to provide the following information at the time the permit is issued:

  • Type of structure being demolished
  • Address of structure
  • Owner information
  • Proposed new construction
  • Will the sewer lateral be used or abandoned?
  • Date of capping inspection

Our Construction Inspector will verify that the lateral is properly capped. The lateral can be temporarily capped or permanently abandoned. If you choose to reuse your existing lateral, you will be required to televise that lateral before re-connecting. USD requires capping so that debris will not get into our sewer lines.

The total permit/inspection fee will be $200, plus a $500 refundable deposit. The customer's contractor will be required to do the capping. Customers will receive their deposit refund upon final inspection and acceptance of the sewer capping.

Please contact us at (510) 477-7500 regarding any demolition/sewer capping permit questions.

If your browser does not allow you to fill out the Lateral Permit application form, follow these instructions:

1.  Download 
Adobe Acrobat Reader and install on your computer
2.  Download the desired USD PDF form and save to your computer
3.  Open the USD PDF form using Acrobat Reader
4.  Complete form and save to your computer
5.  Sign your form in one of these ways:
     a.       Use the Adobe Acrobat Reader “Fill and Sign” tool to type in your signature, or
     b.       Print out the form, manually sign, scan, and save to your computer
6.  Attach to an email and send to



Learn More.

5072 Benson Road

Union City, CA 94587-2508

usd logo bottom

Copyright 2016-2024 Union Sanitary District | Search | Site Map | Designed by Formula Design